Some of the basics commands in Vim!
// Updating to the latest vim looks like this:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:jonathonf/vim
sudo apt update
sudo apt install vim
// How to Copy and Paste in Vim
1. Hit your esc key and go to where you want to start the copy
2. Hit (V) to copy the entire line or lower case (v) to copy by character.
3. Next is (d) to cut or (y) to copy.
4. Move to where you want to paste and hit lower case (p) to paste after.
// Deleting Words and Sentences
1. "esc+ dd" deletes a line.
2. "dw" deletes from the cursor position to the start of the next word
3. "daw" deletes the word under the cursor and the space after or before it.
4. "p" puts back deleted item.
// Undo and Redo
1. u = undo
2. ctrl + r = redo
// Resize a Split
1. vertical resize 140
// Vertical Splits
1. :vnew makes a vertical split.
2. control+w and h, j, k, l moves you between splits.
3. or control+ arrow keys
Control+Z gets you to the terminal
fs 1 gets you back to vim.
More basic commands are below at: vimbasics0817.tar.gz
- The very basics of Vim (text documents): vimbasics0817.tar.gz
- Vim and Tmux Essentials - by @mockra_
- Using Buffers instead of Tabs - by Josh Davis
- (New!) Plugins for Vim - VimAwesome